[hpsdr] how to power Alex with external 12 & 5V Power Supply on Hermes?

Bernd Gasser bernd.gasser at chello.at
Mon Jul 29 04:43:08 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I wonder if someone could give me a hint on how to get 12V power to Alex
(thru 10-pin  J15 on Hermes) when running Hermes with an external (PicuPSU
M3-ATX) to supply 12V and 5V.

The Hermes Manual v 1.7 says that the jumper on J17 needs to be placed to
Pins 1&2 - but this actually disables 12V power for Alex (which is connected
to Pin3 of J17)

            For operation from a 12 V DC supply and an external 5 V supply,
connect the 'positive' lead of

            the 12 V supply to pin 1 of J10 and the 'negative' lead to pin 2
of J10. Connect the positive

            lead of the external 5 V supply to pin 4 of J10 and the negative
lead connections to pin 3 of

            J10. Ensure that the jumper on J18 is removed, the jumper on J17
is placed on pins 1 and 2,

            a jumper placed on J21 and a jumper placed on pins 1 and 2 of
J26.

I wonder if it would be safe to put a jumper over all three pins (1&2&3) on
J17 to provide 12V power to Alex by supplying external 12&5V Power to
Hermes?

Thanks es 73,

Bernd/OE1ACM