[hpsdr] Newbie saying hello and getting a sanity check

k3it gokoyev+k3it at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 09:15:26 PDT 2013

Adam
I recently went through a Hermes DIY experience.  I don't mean to
discourage but this is an extremely time consuming and difficult task.  The
BOM information is not up to date.  I've spent a day just making
corrections and searching the archives for the component info. Then another
day or two finding equivalent parts that are actually in stock at mouser or
digikey.  You will need to setup a solder reflow process, at least for the
QFN parts.  You can use one of the shared solder paste stencils made by Rob
Frohne.  Also I don;t think there is a "kit" - blank PCBs are not available
officially, nor the PCB layout.   This is an open source project, but not
quite open from the hardware perspective.

My board still has glitches with the ethernet IC (can't get more than 24
hours of operation without burning up the chip). The board is very hard to
troubleshoot because of SMD. You end up probing 0.5 mm pitch traces and
leads and that's hard on the eyes.  I got a second, factory built board, so
I can finish troubleshoot the DIY one.  So no money saved there. I'm still
glad I went this route because of all the learning.

73
Vasiliy K3IT