[hpsdr] Newbie saying hello and getting a sanity check

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat Jul 20 13:02:48 PDT 2013

Hi Adam,
   I would guess that there are hundreds of hams using HPSDR boards
actively on the air.  Very high quality is usually reported.  Most
boards in the modular version of hpsdr (Mercury, PennyLane, Metis,
Magister, Excalibur, Atlas, Alex) are available from tapr.org.
Integrated, single-board transceivers and packaged versions of these are
marketed by apache-labs.com.  By far the majority of users purchase
factory-assembled boards, and then, for the modular series, assemble
them into working tranceivers.  Some use these with transverters for the
VHF, UHF and microwave ham bands.  Software and firmware are
open-source.  Many have contributed to the development.

Dave
WA8YWQ

On 7/19/2013 7:25 AM, Adam L. Mendelson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been following the HPSDR project for a little while now and
> really would love to get involved and tinker with this kit.  Yet, I am
> concerned that I do not have the skill for this.  I have very little
> experience building kits and absolutely no experience with working on
> SMT components. >From the perspective of hardware I am just a total
> newb when it comes to building.
>
> When it comes to software, firmware, fpga code, well I do have some
> background in this end.  I have worked for FPGA based hardware
> manufacturers for years and this part excites me.  I have been dying
> to jump into SDR for years but never found a rig that I was
> comfortable sinking my $$$ into.  HPSDR seems to really fit the bill
> for me as I am firm believer in opensource, and knowing this is open
> from the hardware and software really gets me excited.
>
> Furthermore, I have been a network engineer for 15+ years and the IP
> side of this makes me itch to get started,as I have had the concept of
> a software defined shack in my head for a while.  By this I would love
> to be able to segment the entire RF chain into soft controllable
> pieces placed where needed and operated at a clean and neat computer
> like position.  I dream of placing receivers and transmitters close to
> the antenna, having RF switches where needed and so on....
>
> So, I ask this of the reflector, is this a project someone like myself
> can undertake?  If I read correctly it looks like a few of the board
> are available assembled?  If I have read correctly iquadlabs.com
> <http://iquadlabs.com/> may be selling fully assembled kits?  I was
> not able to find them on the website.  Is HPSDR far enough along to
> really work and be a viable radio, not just a tinkerer's time sink?  I
> love to play but I only have so much $$ to burn and I want my SDR to
> be a viable radio to operate not just tinker.
>
> Thanks all for listening to my lengthy rambling and any feedback you
> can offer on a newbie looking to get started.
>
> Adam
> KG4PES

Clear Stream Technologies