[hpsdr] Hpsdr Digest, Vol 89, Issue 19

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Sat Jul 27 08:34:13 PDT 2013

> John,
>    The thing that is confusing about VAC is that each time you add or
> remove ( enable/disable ) a windows sound device, windows may change the
> enumeration of any sound deivice devices and will change the
> enumeration  again the next time you reboot.  Some programs only save
> the enumeration and not the device name. Even though the device name may
> appear to be saved, the under lying enumeration may be different.
>    I have fallen in to the practice of checking the sound card device
> selection each time I start a program the uses a windows sound device.
> Actually, PowerSDR does a fairly good job of retaining the correct sound
> device, much better than some programs.  In WSPR the save name may be
> correct of be wrong unless you reselect.
>    It all very confusing until you realize what happening.

> AL, K0VM

27/07/2013 16:31

I find this a real PITA and a source of frustration. Out of curiosity
does Linux have the same issue, or is it just Windows that makes
things difficult in this regard? If it's something SDR programme
writers can address, and not just that Windows is "broken", I feel it
should be a priority for new programmes to address this.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.