[hpsdr] My initial User's impressions of my new Apache-Labs ANAN-100D.

K4LCD k4lcd at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 30 07:21:57 PDT 2013

Good morning friends!

After carefully evaluating all information available at the Flex-Radio
and Apache Labs User's Groups, the openHPSDR Group and speaking with
several new and perspective users, owners of these DDC/DUC transceivers,
and folks involved in the development of the Hermes and Angelia project
and the software to run it, since late last year, I finally pre-ordered
on May 12th w/ a deposit of $100.00 to be applied towards the $65.00
FEDEX freight. On Tuesday June 18th I received a noticed that my radio
was ready for shipment and a PayPal invoice that I paid on Wednesday
June 19th. I received notification that it had shipped the next day via
FEDEX. After leaving India from Delhi, it arrived in Paris on Saturday,
and at Memphis TN on Sunday. It remained at U.S. Customs during the day
on Monday and arrived at my front door in perfect condition, very well
packed, with no missing parts Tuesday, June 25th, at 930am EDT.

Radio came with latest version of Firmware installed. I have not opened
the radio and I am running it using all hardware factory settings
unchanged (please read User's Manual).

I had it perfectly running on SSB within minutes, without any issues, on
all my HF TX/RX (Mosley Pro67-B-3 and Alpha Delta DX-A slopper antennas
(selectable) connected to Ant 1. and 2nd RX connected to my 4 x EWE
loops (switchable to the NE,NW,SW,and SE, designed by Floyd Koontz
WA2WVL and protected by Front End Saver triggered each time I transmit
or press the PTT. (Please visit our Links section). It puts out full
power on each band, without need to calibrate PA. Had rag chewing
sessions on SSB running 100W with at times transmissions lasting more
than  five minutes, without any perceived abnormal heating of the PA
(would describe as luke warm). I am not using antenna tuner except on 160M

Although my 80M/630M Transverter is connected to Antenna 2, I have not
tested the radio yet transmitting with 1W(attenuated to 500mw) to drive
the transverter at 3.6**MHz and receiving crossband on 600/630M. There
has been NO propagation on 6M. 100D puts out full 100W on this band 6M
M2 yagi is connected toAntenna 3.

Microphone being used is a Chinese computer desktop connected to the
front of the computer (enabling in Recording Devices Front Mic) and
selecting as input device on VAC settings. PTT is activated
pressing/releasing spacebar of keyboard and deactivating in the same manner.

IMPORTANT: Computer and Radio Power Supply (providing 14.1 VDC at rest)
are both connected to the same UPS 115 Volt AC for common grounding.
Radio is connected to computer gigabit Ethernet port via Netgear Prosafe
5 port Gigabit switch. Radio currently running at 10/100T base.

Using latest version of openHPSDR's PowerSDRmRX, which runs without
glitches, significantly different but somewhat familiar with Flex-Radio
PowerSDR that I use on my Flex 5000A.

On a couple of instances I needed the advise of Ken Hopper N9VV,
Customer Support for Apache-Labs in the U.S. and I received such advise
promptly and professionally.

I have also spent hours playing with DL3HVH's CuSDR Open Source software
still under development. The software functions only on RX mode at his
time. But, is very User friendly and very advanced. When fully
functioning in both TX and RX it promises to appeal to many new Users of
SDR. We have published several photos of its display.

As I am only a non technical User of these radios, I have only tried to
give the Members of this User's Discussion Group my initial impressions
of the Radio I just purchased and received from India.

Guys, the Apache-Labs ANAN-100D so far is a TEN!

With my kindest regards, 73

Juan /K4LCD - WF2XXQ
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdr-users/