[hpsdr] Some Progress

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sun Jun 23 05:37:46 PDT 2013

Dave,
Joe is correct that TAPR ships the boards with the firmware that WAS the latest at the
time the boards were manufactured.

TAPR does NOT later take the boards out of their anti-static bags and update the firmware.
That would then require TAPR to re-test each board, and TAPR is not set up to do that.
Especially with an office staff of 1!

I'm not sure how/where Dave arrived at the conclusion that TAPR shipped boards with the
latest firmware already on them.  That just is not the case.

For best results and performance, and use with the latest software, using all the latest
features, you will end up updating the firmware on your boards.

For example, I just got a PennyLane from TAPR this week to replace the Penelope that seems
to have died as a result of going to Dayton to be on display at the TAPR booth.  It does
NOT have the latest firmware, like my Metis and Mercury do, so it is unable to report its
version number, since Joe's fine work to increase performance and free up Atlas bus lines
requires an update of firmware on all boards.  My choice is to use my USBBlaster cable to
do this.  Investing in an inexpensive cable like that available from eBay for around $20
or so is a good investment.

73,
George K9TRV