[hpsdr] Couple of questions on Building Hermes before diving in...

Gloria Koch n1wwq at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 7 08:08:05 PST 2013

Well, I have all the parts now and am contemplating how to best approach building
this Hermes Xcvr (or maybe not and run for the hills.. :^)

I have access to someone who is competent at soldering and has indicated that
they would be willing to solder down the FPGA and other "difficult" components.
This would be only by hand though with decent Metcal air/pencil stations, but no
reflow ovens.

Has there been any success(es) using hand soldering techniques completing this kit?

If so, any recommendations on approach such as which chips to do first, techniques
for having greater success in binding on particular components, ...?

I downloaded the placement guide, "Hermes_Component_Placement_Guide_20121105.pdf"
and am wondering how it was intended on being used as it had no instructions with it.
The 27 pages highlight various components, does this mean this is the suggested order
of installation?

I Have the BOM, Schematic, and the placement guide. Are there any other documents
that may be helpful for building the Hermes?

Any advice is welcome.

Tnx,

-Rick / N1GP