[hpsdr] Hermes Host ID

Alfred Green nu8i at cox.net
Fri Mar 8 13:07:54 PST 2013

With the discussion of the improved visualization with the new release I
couldn't resist the urge to get a new Hermes box. Setting it up was
easy; a couple of stumbles were resolved thanks to recent postings on
this list. Thanks!

It connects to my LAN ok, and PSDR 3.0.1 controls it just fine. The only
niggle I have is it identifies with a blank Host Name. When I look at
the DHCP list on my router it is useful to have a descriptive name as
the MAC address, while unique, is cryptic. Most devices have something
like Computer Name showing. I didn't see anything during the Hermes
setup which would allow me to set it. I am using FW v2.3.

This of course has no impact on the operation of the unit, which as far
as my limited use has performed wonderfully. It is just a housekeeping
issue as I have 20+ devices on my LAN and it is sometimes nice to get a
quick look at where everything is.

On a related note, I was very pleased with the service from Apache Labs.
I placed the order online late Monday afternoon and had it in my hands
by Thursday morning, and on the air a couple of hours later.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Phoenix  AZ  DM33xo