[hpsdr] Hermes Host ID

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Fri Mar 8 14:58:54 PST 2013

Hi Al, *CONGRATS* on your new state-of-the-art Radio.

Do you have "20+ devices on your LAN" ??? the protocol of Ethernet is
CSMACD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSMACD which presents lots
of conflicts and lower performance as the number of items increases.

Your new Hermes/ANAN will saturate a 100BT LAN, and in the the future it
will be capable of generating a large percentage of a Gigabit Network
capability.

I would humbly suggest you get a good Gigabit switch or router ($20 from
Geeks.com) and segregate your Hermes/ANAN and it's computer from
all the other items on your LAN if you intend to get the most out
of your new Ethernet based unit.

I am sure a networking professional like Jeremy NH6Z can speak more
knowledgeably about this. Please consult him about the topology of
your LAN before you add any more devices :-)
"Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)" <mcdermj at xenotropic.com>

GL de Ken N9VV