[hpsdr] VAC anomaly on RX2

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Thu Mar 7 17:20:27 PST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Doug W5WC <w5wc at windstream.net> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> The "Master AF" does not affect the VAC channels. The "RX1 AF" and "RX2 AF"
> controls do affect the VAC channels because they control the corresponding
> preamps in DttSP. And DttSP occurs before VAC in the audio chain. If you
> are
> using VAC with raw I/Q then there is no affect from these gain controls.

Yeah, I figured that out. It is amazing what one can learn when one tries
things out. :-)

IMHO the only gain control that should have an effect is the gain control
for the VAC output, not the sliders. That means that they need to be fixed
in the 100% position and the audio level only adjusted with the master gain
control.

But my thinking is that I may want to mute the speaker audio for RX1 while
continuing to listen to speaker audio for RX2. But I want my decoder, e.g.
fldigi, that is attached to the RX1 VAC channel to continue decoding. So
how to I mute RX1 speaker audio while still having RX2 speaker audio, and
still have my IF stream going out VAC1 to my CODEC? I don't see a way to do
this as it is currently set up. That seems broken to me but it is just more
likely that I am confused and you have a solution for me.

Thank you for replying.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.