[hpsdr] Standalone WSPR beacon

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Mar 25 19:56:33 PDT 2013

Hi Berndt,

* Date and time is feed as TTL RS232 into an I/O pin on Penny(Lane). This
comes from the TTL RS232 port on the GPS module (Jupiter) I used. The GPS
receiver must NOT be in NMEA mode since the time data can drift with
respect to the 1PPS in this mode.

* Yes, it could exist with the current FPGA code and be selected with an
I/O link on power-up

* Only supports Penny(Lane) but since the hardware is much the same would
be a simple port.  There are a number of I/O pins on Hermes (shared with
DEBUG_LEDS) that could be used to input the 1 PPS and TTL Level date/time
from the GPS receiver.  When using a Jupiter GPS module you get an
accurate 10kHz reference - I also feed that to Penny and phase lock the
122.88MHz clock to it - we could do the same with Hermes.

* Current code is available in two parts 1) the original WSPR code from
KD5TFD and the GPS interface in a 2m Chirp beacon that I wrote.

73 Phil...VK6APH