[hpsdr] Clarification question- Hermes & Alex

dave powis g4hup at btinternet.com
Sun May 12 08:11:00 PDT 2013

Hi Phil,

I wonder if I can trouble you with what is probably a simple question regarding Hermes and Alex interfacing?

According to the Alex documentation, it is controlled by SPI bus commands.  Hermes documentation does not mention SPI, but does refer to I2C. Can Hermes control Alex directly, in software terms, please?

It also mentions an interface to Alex using J15, the 10way location for a set of header pins, ready to connect to the Alex control cable.

However, what is confusing me slightly, and I have not been able to resolve from either Hermes or Alex documentation, is the implication at the bottom of Page 2 of the Hermes User guide (V1.8), that 'the HPSDR Alex* board which may be controlled directly from Hermes, with the addition of a few parts.'

Besides the 10 way header pins, what else must be added to Hermes?

Thanks

73,
Dave  G4HUP