[hpsdr] munin design

Mike Collins mikecol at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 6 17:17:23 PDT 2013

On 5/6/2013 7:27 PM, FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a question. Why does the Munin final feed DC into the
> transformer CT. and also use a DC feed choke. I've never seen this
> done before and wonder why. Frank WA1GFZ

Hi Frank,

The DC feed choke ( L8 ) is decoupled so is just a better filter on the
DC to help on balance and IMD.

The interesting part to me is all the flexibility in the amp for
fiddling....  The feedback transformer is somewhat unique too, in that
the DC feed thru it and the output primary too.

Lots of places to experiment...  I want to try replacing L8 (and output
caps) with an auto-transformer choke feeding the drains. Maybe removing
the center tap ground on the output and/or feedback transformers; or
decouple to ground with cap to maintain RF symmetry.  All of the
transformers are conventional, so it will be easy to add/remove center
taps, or tie/decouple to ground/power.

Lots of fun !!

73,  Mike Collins   KF4BQ