[hpsdr] Cyclops

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Mon May 20 14:48:24 PDT 2013

Glad you enjoyed Dayton!

It was fun to be there in the TAPR booth for the 3rd year.

I DID 'pull the trigger' and brought home the Rigol 815 Spectrum Analyzer. 9khz to 1.5
ghz.  Only $1 per megahertz.  Now to find some 'good use' for it.  Of course this doesn't
mean that I won't get a Cyclops when they come out.

Cyclops desirers take note: it will very likely require Atlas/Metis (maybe Magister/Ozy
but don't count on it), Mercury and some form of Penny (Lane or Penelope).  Do NOT expect
it to work with Hermes or Angelia.  They have no bus to connect to.

Please remember that the discriminating distinction between Atlas-based systems and
Hermes/Angelia, and that the first is a true 'experimenter' platform, with a backplane
that can take many different cards.  The latter were made as a less expensive and less
adaptive way to get into HPSDR.  Of course, anything that only requires a software or
firmware change can be done on either type of platform.

It is unfortunate that Abhi and his crew were unable to get visas in time to come.  It
would have been good to speak with them and discuss the state of OpenHPSDR.

73,
George K9TRV