[hpsdr] "Syllabic Squelch"

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Tue Nov 5 15:51:11 PST 2013

I am interested in Syllabic VOX and now Syllabic Squelch.
I wonder why these techniques have disappeared from Ham
equipment. I am told Kenwood had them in the 840 or 870
but they can not be found in any new Ham gear.

Here is a link to Rohde & Schwarz showing the world that
this technique is still IMPORTANT and can be a sales tool
for prospective buyers:
Voice Processing Unit (VPU) ¸GN2110

"Speech-selective squelch function, ie speech-controlled,
syllabic muting circuit"
http://www.bhi-ltd.com/index.php/home.html
Voice Operated Squelch kit

I will continue to investigate this to learn more about it and
why it has not been continued as a feature of modern SSB communications?

rgds,
73 Ken N9VV