[hpsdr] "Syllabic Squelch" for SSB Rx

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 4 17:42:52 PST 2013

Interesting to hear you talk about this.

A HF SSB squelch/mute that operated on voice has been a feature on Codan
HF equipment for a long long time.   The name Codan is an acronym,
Carrier Operated Device Anti-Noise... a reference to the mute circuit
they developed in the 1960's that kept their HF radios quiet unless
someone was actually talking.

My Icom IC-F7000 (commercial HF) radio has a voice mute that seems to
perform a very similar function.

HF radio was used extensively in the Australian "outback" in the days
before the telephone arrived. The Royal Flying Doctor Service and School
Of The Air were users of HF radio.  The voice operated mute in the Codan
HF radios made living with a HF radio operational 24/7 in the household
bearable.

When selcall on HF (CCIR 493.1) became popular in the 80's, the mute
circuit was also able to keep the transmitted selcall tones muted as
they fell out of the frequency range that the voice mute "looked for".

I've got Codan 6801 Mk2 service manuals with the schematic of their mute
circuit.  If anyone wants I can scan the page and post a link.

Michael.
VK5ZEA