[hpsdr] Penelope T2 orientation - soldering [success]

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 16:37:54 PDT 2013

Thank you Scotty.

I got both Penelopes done.

I tried 300 C first, but needed to go to 350 C to get the Pb
free solder to alloy with the ChipQuik.

I discovered that I needed a good blob of ChipQuik on each
terminal so there was still enough heat at the first pin by the
time I got to heating the last pin.

With the transformer clear, I had my soldering iron set to 250 C
with solder wick to clean the pads.  I did lose one pad, the
center-tap, so 1 out of 12 isn't too bad.

Alcohol with a cotton swab cleans the ChipQuik flux pretty good.

I ran my iron down to lowest setting, 165 C, and it still melts
the ChipQuick.

Scotty, you forgot to mention that the T2 case stinks when you
hit it with the soldering iron.

Now I have a pair of high-power Penelopes.  :)

Thanks everyone,

Mike - AA8K