[hpsdr] Munin heat sink and spreader

Tim ORourke w4yn at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 06:17:30 PDT 2013

Yes we hand scrape mating surfaces where necessary.
We call transfer midia Blueing, you can actually obtain from good old time auto supply store, also used to verify valve seating face contact.
The spreader MAY be overkill for 100 watts, I built Hercules, and 2 Munin amps without spreader. I machined heatsink to accmodate finals and linear devices and have not had any overheating issues at all. The extra heat transfer surface created by adding spreader takes away some of the higher heat transfer of copper. Copper is a good thing but from practicle experience I do not fine the necessity for 100 watts with adequate heat sink. I do not use digital modes very often so your eperience may be different however I believe with a small fan (mine has never come on using Hercules or Munin) the spreader MAY not be necessary.
I am no thermal engineer though just my 3.5 cents worth.
Tim W4YN