[hpsdr] Standalone Munin Testing

Helmut, DC6NY dc6ny at gmx.de
Wed Oct 16 08:03:52 PDT 2013

Hi Lee,

I’m not familiar with the MFJ-269, but all these (scalar) analyzers are
using a bridge-circuit and display the measured impedance at a given
frequency. Usually we are using the 50 ohms system and the value of the
impedance relating to 50 ohms defines reflection or SWR. Assume you measure
25 ohms, so the SWR is 50/25=2 equal a reflection factor of 0.33 or 10 dB.
That’s still a reasonable value for an amp.
Example: I guess the output transformer L4 on the Munin has a winding ratio
1:4 or an impedance ratio of 1:16. This means the primary port of the
transformer has to ‘see’ 50/16=3.12 ohms to get optimal match. If you
substitute the each final MOSFETs with a 1.56 ohm resistor between source
and drain, you can evaluate your match by measuring the impedance at the
output jack of the amp.
You have to do this on the different bands, but please don’t ever apply the
supply voltage, hi.
BTW Hermes in the VNA mode together with a necessary test bridge is an
excellent tool for that kind of measuring.

73, Helmut, DC6NY