[hpsdr] Penelope Power reading - failed under OpenHPSDR mRX-FFT v3.1.5

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Oct 16 10:34:34 PDT 2013

Hi Georg,

Could you be be caught in the "low power trap” that some people occasionally find when using Alex at low power with their PowerSDR Tx meter set for high power readings?  If you have Alex checked as being present the Tx power meter in PowerSDR gets its input from the Alex directional coupler, not directly from Penelope.  Keep in mind that the directional coupler on Alex is designed for a 100W signal level, so unless you have your Tx power meter set to its high sensitivity setting the values shown the PSDR Tx meter will have a 1 watt step and will not show sub-1-watt signals unless the meter is set to “high sensitivity”.  To check whether this is the issue set your Tx power meter in PSDR to high sensitivity and it will (should) show the Penelope output at sub-one-watt levels, even though it will still be using the 100W directional coupler in Alex, of course, so the accuracy of the coupler in that low range may or may not be all that great as less-than-a-watt signals are at the very low end of its range.

73,  Joe K5SO