[hpsdr] OpenHPSDR mRx Noise Reduction JT65 Effect??

John radio at mediacombb.net
Thu Sep 5 08:46:30 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I have been enjoying my Hermes and lately have been using it with
OpenHPSDR mRx v 3.1.5 and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  To run JT65 and JT9
I am now using WSJT-X v. 1.1.

Looking over some measurements posted recently, it seemed there was a
benefit to the Noise Reduction (NR) feature of  mRx.  My experience
with NR ON and using WSJT-X was unexpected.

With NR OFF, the bandpass shown in the WSJT-X spectrum display looks
nice and flat and noise seems to be distributed evenly across the
pass band.  However, with NR ON the spectrum display in WSJT-X shows
areas of very strong noise and the displayed passband has what I
would describe is extreme ripple.  I live in a noisy location, but
the display with NR ON has never been as bad as when I first tried NR
today.  The spectrum display in mRx looks normal.

Here is a screen shot showing both mRX and OpenHPSDR mRx.  You may
need to scroll down to see the spectrum display of WSJT-X

      http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/HPSDR/OpenHPSDR%20NR%20ON.PNG

I wonder if others are observing the same effect.  Perhaps some
program I use is effecting these programs or, maybe, the NR feature
is not meant for JT9 - JT65.

Best regards,

John  WoGN