[hpsdr] [apache-labs] RE: Free SDR Software

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Sep 14 20:29:52 PDT 2013

Hi John,

Thanks for your excellent overview of where we are heading with the Radio and PC software.  Your are quite correct that the changes are mainly  being made for data transfer efficiency reasons.

The current Ethernet protocol is a wrapper round the USB protocol we developed way back in January 2006.  Whilst this served us well when we only had a few receivers it becomes very inefficient with multiple receivers. It’s also unable to support multiple receivers at different sample rates.

We will also be introducing time stamping of received signals that will allow for very exciting experiments to combine signals from multiple radios, both locally and internationally via the Internet.

As in the past, we do intend to maintain PC software compatibility between openHPSDR hardware and the ANAN-* range of radios.

In parallel with this work is a complete replacement of the PC DSP library (DttSP.dll) in order to support the new features.

I’m really relieved  to hear this is not a tremendous amount of work....because it sure feels like it at the moment

For openHPSDR users the only downside of this is that we many not be able to support all the new features and ideas when using the Ozy USB board.  However, TAPR have a brand new stock of  Metis boards fresh from the factory so it may be a good idea to move to Ethernet whilst there are boards available.

73 Phil...VK6PH