[hpsdr] Follow-up on Hermes-Lite

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Mon Apr 14 21:02:37 PDT 2014

Hello All,

I've read the comments and questions on the Hermes Lite and tried to
capture my responses below.

* The jumper on the FPGA board selects whether the FPGA board is powered
through the 80-pin connector or USB. This jumpered signal does run to the
daughter board and in the next versionn should be controlled by the
daughter board. There is a github issue recorded for this.

* The prototype has extra jumpers to provide flexibility to try different
things. The next version of the PCB can reduce the number of jumpers.

* The power output is theoretically 100 mW, and even 200 mW if you tolerate
some distortion. If have tested up to 50 mW as shown in the WSPR spots. I
couldn't go up to 100 mW because I did not have a binocular core of the
right size on hand to get the proper turns ratio. Eventually, I'd like to
see a small amp integrated to make this more like a RXTX Ensemble.

* I agree that this project is not ready for general use as it is. Only the
bravest should attempt to build the current version! I put it out there to
see what would happen. Who knows what others can and will do... I have
tried to capture everything I can think of that needs to be fixed/improved
in the online github project issues list.

* There are unused pins from the FPGA that connect to the unused PCIE-like
connector. These can be repurposed to provide some I/O and control in a
next version.

* Thanks to Rob, KL7NA, for keeping the demo going.

73,

Steve
KF7O