[hpsdr] Introducing the Hermes-Lite

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Sun Apr 13 16:01:58 PDT 2014

Steve,

This is really cool! I suspect this is going to take off, especially if
TAPR is willing to produce finished boards (after a little more
shakedown and polishing by early adopters). Even if not, I've been
wanting to take my surface mount skills to the next level, but wasn't
willing to try something as expensive and as complicated as a Hermes
board from scratch.

So, who wants to be in the first wave of early adopters? Can we get
together a group purchase of PCB's and components? Perhaps there should
only be a small number of people in the first wave, who are willing to
build immediately and help refine things for the next group. I'm willing
to help or coordinate things, but I would need help with understanding
and completing the process of preparing the gerber files for submitting
to a PCB vendor. I would also need someone else to do any modifications
that might be required (since I am not familiar with the tools
involved), based on Steve's replies to the questions below?

Some quick questions and a request:

1) The picture you provided showed some small jumper wires, one on the
FPGA board and one on the Hermes Lite board.  What were these required
for? If required, I'm assuming the Hermes Lite board can be modified to
remove the need for the jumper wire, correct? Are there any more jumpers
that are not visible?
Any other changes you would suggest for a version 2 board?

2) Any chance you could provide higher resolution photos of both the
front and back of the Hermes Lite board without the FPGA board attached?

Thanks!

John
AC0ZG