[hpsdr] Introducing the Hermes-Lite

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Sun Apr 13 15:05:33 PDT 2014

Hello List,

I have been working on a lower cost variant of the Hermes which I am
calling Hermes-Lite. All the details are at

https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite

The design is entirely open source and open hardware. The cost of all
materials (including the BeMicro SDK board) is around $150. The FPGA
firmware is a port of the Hermes RTL and is compatible enough to work with
existing Hermes software. The ADC/DAC is the AD9866 12-bit integrated
device intended for cable modems which I have repurposed as a 0-36 MHz
transceiver. RX/TX tests of my prototype show good performance. The github
site has instructions for listening to the receiver online.

I had hoped to have a more polished project before releasing, but I am
starting a new job tomorrow and will have limited time for this project.
Any help on this project or derivatives is welcome.

Thank you to all the people at openhpsdr who developed the Hermes and
provided valuable IP to reuse in this project.

73,

Steve
KF7O