[hpsdr] CORRECTION: TAPR Forum at Dayton Hamvention, Friday, 5/16, 9:15 - 11:15 am

Mark Thompson wb9qzb_groups at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 12:45:53 PDT 2014

http://www.tapr.org/dayton.html#forum

The TAPR Digital Forum at the Dayton Hamvention
will be in Room 1 at 9:15 AM to 11:15 AM on Friday, May 16th

Forum Schedule
--------------------------
9:15-9:30
Introduction and TAPR Update
Steve Bible, N7HPR,
TAPR President

9:30-9:55
New Developments in the openHPSDR Software Defined Radio Project
Scotty Cowling, WA2DFI
We will take a look at exciting new developments in the openHPSDR project.
Topics include PureSignal predistortion to improve transmit linearity, the new UDP protocol definition, a new GPS frequency standard and an overview of new Gen2 hardware, among others.

9:55-10:20
HackRF and Your Digital World
Michael Ossmann
Modern software defined radio platforms like HackRF give us an unprecedented ability to explore the radio spectrum around us.
Meanwhile, our world is exploding with new digital radio systems both large and small. Never before has it been possible to interact with so many interesting wireless systems. Join me on a tour of the vast array of digital radio signals that are a part of your daily life and see how HackRF allows you to join in the fun.

10:20-10:45
Whitebox / HT of the Future
Chris Testa, KD2BMH
Whitebox is a power-conserving handheld SDR transceiver with an Open Source / Open Hardware design.
Chris Testa will show a working Whitebox system and discuss his progress and the issues he confronted.
Whitebox is a complete RF platform that plugs into a computer.
HT of the Future, combining Whitebox and Android, gives us a handheld platform for soft-modems and applications with a full graphical user interface. It has all of the power of Hermes or FlexRadio, but for 54 to 1000 MHz and in your pocket. Chris will discuss what it will take to get Whitebox to experimenters this year and what will be necessary to realize it as an end-user platform next year.

10:45-11:15
AMBE Exposed!, FreeDV & Codec2
Bruce Perens, K6BP
AMBE has been reverse-engineered, leading to a D-STAR receive application that works without a DV-Dongle!
The developers would like to remain unnamed for now due to intellectual property reasons, but Bruce has their number.
Bruce will discuss the technology, the potential for a single unit that could talk with all of D-STAR, Yaesu System Fusion, and a Codec2 based system, and what you can do with the software today. One of the largest concerns is when AMBE emulating software will become legal in the U.S. due to patent expiration, and Bruce will give a short explanation of what we know about that.

The Second Generation of FreeDV and Codec2, news from David Rowe, VK5DGR
David has been working on a new generation of FreeDV.
The prototype (in simulation as I write this) achieves a significant signal-to-noise improvement.
Technologically, it's a startling departure from the first version. We'll go over the design and some early audio samples, and what we expect for the next year.