[hpsdr] Angelia_v4.2 firmware release

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Fri Aug 22 18:07:18 PDT 2014

All,

Angelia_v4.2 firmware is available for download from

http://k5so.com/HPSDR_downloads.html

This version of firmware slightly modifies the timing of v4.1 to make the design more robust with respect to running on many different Angelia boards.  A few people have reported problems with v4.1 where one or more features became inoperable after 30 minutes or so of operation (e.g., CW sidetone simply stopping, etc).  Most Angelia boards had no problem with v4.1 apparently but a few did.  This v4.2 appears to have fixed those problems and appears to work fine on other Angelia boards too.

I don’t know if the recently reported trouble experienced by a few people using HPSDR Programmer to update firmware in Angelia will be helped by this new firmware but it could, perhaps.  In any case, should you run into trouble using HPSDR Programmer in the normal manner you should be able to use the HPSDR  Bootloader program to recover.

For those who wish to use the "brute force" method of completely reloading the Angelia EEPROM (including the bootloader code) by using a blaster cable with the Quartus II Programmer, I have created a new “output_file.pof” file that includes both Angelia_v4.2 image and the bootloader code in it and I have included it in the zipped Angelia_v4.2 download folder.  Using this “output_file.pof” file will relieve you of the task of updating to v4.2 after loading the bootloader code, which you would need to do if you use an earlier version of “output_file.pof” in your blaster cable process.  Please keep in mind that you should not need to use a blaster cable to recover from a failed attempt to update firmware using HPSDR Programmer; recovery using HPSDR Bootloader (with J17 jumper in place, of course) should work for you in those (hopefully relatively rare!) cases.  I included this new “output_file.pof" file in the download folder only as a “peace of mind” item and courtesy for those who like to use their blaster cables, hihi.

73, Joe K5SO