[hpsdr] openHPSDR at the forefront of SDR development

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Aug 23 11:06:14 PDT 2014

A personal comment regarding FPGA programming and programming in general:

The view that writing and maintaining FPGA code is beyond the capability of most of us has been blown completely out of proportion to reality!  That view is simply incorrect.

Indeed, I’m a good example of the point, I think.  As many of you know, I am certainly not a professional programmer and, in fact, I have had no serious programming experience at all in any computer language in my life.   Since joining the HPSDR community a few years ago I have managed to muddle my way along in learning how to successfully write both FPGA code and  PowerSDR (C# and C) code and have discovered that it simply isn’t that hard to do.  I readily admit that my code isn’t “elegant” in the purist view but it works (sometimes anyway, hihi).  The point I’m trying to make is that you only have to be willing to learn something new, that’s all, and not be too timid to give it a try to ultimately become successful in doing ANY of the programming we do.  Indeed, it turns out that even the often-viewed-as-no-man’s-land of timing FPGA designs is actually completely accessible to non-professionals such as we are and, in fact, the task is easily within the grasp of the average experimenter.

Further, we have always used and are still using free versions of Quartus II to create FPGA designs and load the FPGAs without problem.  You don’t have to have the fully licensed Quartus II versions to do anything we wish to do with these FPGAs.

Counter to what one might assume from the recent discussions, any of us can do FPGA programming with the free tools we have available from Altera if you only care to put the effort into learning how to do it.  It just isn’t that hard!  I’m certainly no expert in any of this stuff and would never claim to be but you don’t have to be an expert to be able to learn to work with these tools and be able to make meaningful contributions.

There is no reason at all that only a small percentage of our group can do FPGA programming!  The truth is that anyone can do it if you set your mind to do it.

73, Joe K5SO