[hpsdr] Uses for RA v3.2.8 (1Feb2014)

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sun Feb 2 14:34:34 PST 2014

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your feedback and comments.  As your query is likely to be a common one I have posted my response on the reflector for the benefit of other HSPDR hardware/software users; I hope you don’t mind me doing so.

Personally, I’ve not heard many details of specific efforts that may be underway (or planned) in which the HPSDR hardware/software is used for radio astronomy.  Here, I am interested in using the hardware as an IF back end for the 1420.4 MHz multiple-dish interferometer I am constructing and for possibly pursuing more pulsar star observations at 436 MHz.  I also expect to use the Diversity feature to do these observations using the polarization diveristy capability that presently exists with the program.

I have received feedback that at least one user is using the present RA feature to measure signal-to-noise ratios and effectiveness of compression of HF stations in real time, as two examples of possible applications for the RA option.

Presently I am considering adding dual channel monitoring to the RA module so that instantaneous signals from two separate antennas can be viewed and displayed together in real time.

There is no doubt in my mind that clever users in the community will come up with unique ways in which to use the RA feature that I haven’t considered.  My thinking is that the present implementation of the RA option is only the beginning of a wide range of capabilities that can be included in it.

73, Joe K5SO