[hpsdr] PowerSDR mRX_PS_v3.2.7 problems on Win 7 (64-bit) 16GB ram

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sun Feb 2 18:42:42 PST 2014

I've updated HPSDR firmware:
Metis 2.6
Mercury 3.4
Penelope 1.8

I updated the firmware on Win 7.
The no-pcap programmer didn't work, so I used bootloader (previous
firmware was probably at least a year old).

All PC programs were downloaded from openHPSDR download page, using the
Windows installers.

PSDR 3.2.7 works fine on Win XP (Core 2 Duo).
KK works fine on Win 7 and Win XP.

At least once PSDR worked nicely on Win 7, but only after several
attempts, but no longer.

On Win 7, sometimes it complains about bad firmware versions, &
displaying zero for Mercury and Penny.  If I check "Bypass Firmware
Check" and click the power button, the setup window shows the correct
values (as above).

It seems to start the hardware fine--I see Ethernet traffic on my
ethernet switch, but panadapter updates occur several, even 10s, of
seconds apart, and usually are not as expected.  There are occasional
short (few milliseconds) bursts of audio.

Sometimes when I click the power button I get (after a minute or more)
the message box, "Error starting HPSDR hardware, is it connected and
powered?  (But it is running and there's Ethernet traffic.)

I've tried "Run this program as administrator", (though my login has
full admin privileges).
I've tried "Run this program in compatibility mode for " Windows XP sp3".
Neither helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks & 73,
Dave