[hpsdr] Predistortion and different types of amplifiers?

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Feb 11 04:07:19 PST 2014

Hi.

I can confirm what Helmut says, the high voltage LDMOS transistors works
extremely well with predistortion. It is much more difficult to get PAs
using RD100HHF1 to work with PD. I have tested several Munin boards and
the best improvement I can get is 15-20 dB. Increasing the Vdd to 24V does
not help. And at higher frequencies the less improvements, sometimes I can
get no reaction on 10 and 6 meter.

I see that some of the testers have achieved better results with ANAN-100
so I do not understand why the two amplifiers behave different. The PA in
Apollo using RD16HHF1 and the one in ANAN-10 using RD15HVF1 works
perfectly with PD. I have also tested with lower bias current and even at
100mA each, the improvements are good.

As the transistors are from the same family, it is difficult to explain
this difference. Also the difference between Munin and ANAN-100 is
strange. I have used other material in the output transformer that gives
better efficiency but it is hard to believe this is the reason. So there
is a lot of testing left to solve this problem. I am open for ideas!

73, Kjell

Sendt med Operas e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/