[hpsdr] Predistortion and different types of amplifiers?

Steven B. Dick sbdick at optonline.net
Wed Feb 12 12:20:50 PST 2014

In my previous life working with digital predistortion, I found a great deal
of difference in performance with different types of amplifiers.  The
performance often degraded as a function of the number of stages in the
amplifier - more stages resulted in more degradation.  I suspect the
degradation is possibly due to several reasons:
1. The amplifier's amplitude transfer characteristics may be more abruptly
non-linear as you start getting into compression.  That makes it more
difficult for the predistortion to correct, as a relatively small correction
change can cause a large output change around the nonlinear region.
2. There may be very large phase changes with more stages, again making it
more difficult for predistortion to correct.

A rule of thumb for required bandwidth is that the bandwidth should be at
least five times larger than the bandwidth you are trying to correct.  Ten
times more would be better.  Another rule of thumb, with regard to phase
corrections is that you need oversampling by at least a factor or 8, or
phase corrections will not work very well. In fact they could make things
worse.

I don't know the specifics of the algorithm details, but it appears to work
extremely well for the high voltage LDMOS amp, looking at the graphs.  If a
particular amplifier is working poorly, it may be worth disabling the phase
correction part of the algorithm and only use amplitude correction and see
if performance is any better.

Regards, "Digital Steve", K1RF

Message: 5