[hpsdr] Hermes

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Fri Feb 21 12:58:10 PST 2014

Hi Tony,

As Joe has suggested, the most robust configuration includes filters.
Some have found them absolutely necessary to avoid overload from strong
stations nearby.  In my case, I live in a rural area on a mountain top.
I have several transmitting towers in sight; however, they are about 15
miles away.  In several years of operating, I've only seen ADC overload
from on-air signals one time --- that was from a neighbor who is a ham.
So, the message is that "your mileage may vary."

If you're thinking of purchasing a Hermes and trying to decide about
filters, you should consider your situation relative to strong nearby
stations.  Alternatively, if you think you most likely won't need
filters, you could get the Hermes first and then decide.

Unless you are in an "ADC overload" situation, the filters won't do
anything to make the reception better --- I believe you'll find Hermes
quite enjoyable, by the way.

73,
Warren  NR0V