[hpsdr] Hermes

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Fri Feb 21 13:32:56 PST 2014

Tony,

To clarify my statements about finding the filters important:  Here, on receive I tend to use very broad-band, e-probe antenna systems that perform well over effectively the entire 0-60 MHz range.  Therefore, I am sensitive to the full range of spectrum that Hermes uses, all at once.  Most ham antennas are not so broad band in character, thus, many who use Hermes without Alex do fine when connected to their single-band or few-band antennas, as the antennas themselves provide a degree of “pre-filtering” to frequencies outside their designed operating range.

You may well not need an Alex filter to do what you want to do with the antennas you use.  As Warren says, try it without Alex and see if things work well for you or not.

73,  Joe K5SO