[hpsdr] Comments on setting up PureSignal

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 08:49:03 PST 2014

Brian,
     Based on extensive testing by Mukesh, KE3VG, with a ClearRF
sampler, good results were achieved on 20 and 40 meters when the
external sample level was 6db higher than the observed internal
crosstalk level on that band.  This may not be practical on the higher
bands due to the higher crosstalk at higher frequencies.

     A table of optimal PureSignal  "ATT on TX" attenuation settings was
constructed using a barefoot ANAN-100D and various PowerSDR settings.
Here is the one from my barefoot ANAN-100D:

PowerSDR 3.2.9 Angelia 2.8, ANAN-100D
ATT on TX Attenuation level needed for 1 db above ADC overload at
various PowerSDR settings:

Band      Alex      Alex Man.    Bypass       Alex Auto and
           Auto      Byp 55mhz    on Tx        Bypass on Tx
                                (EXT1,2)
160       8         0-RED        0-GRN        0-YELLOW
80        12        0            5            5
40        15        2            10           5
20        19        14           15           18
17        21        15           17           18
15        22        20           19           20
12        27        24           18           20
10        22        23           18           21
6         28        26           19           28

Mukesh used a similar table he created with his Barefoot ANAN-100D using
internal crosstalk.  Then, with his ClearRF sampler attached to the
output of his Amp Supply amplifier he increased his ATT on TX
attenuation to 6 db above the level shown in his barefoot table.  He
then adjusted his ClearRF sampler output to a point 1 db past the point
where ADC overload was experienced. He acheived ~45dbc using this
method. YMMV.

Bill KC9XG
On 2/26/2014 9:40 AM, Brian Lloyd wrote:

> Now that people are experimenting with PureSignal with external amps,
> I think I see a possible trend for an error that can be made that
> results in less improvement than might otherwise be possible with
> better configuration.
SNIPPED some great info.