[hpsdr] Comments on setting up PureSignal

Helmut Oeller dc6ny at gmx.de
Wed Feb 26 09:29:03 PST 2014

Hi Brian,

The ADC clipping level is typically + 5 dBm and in the given configuration
with a 20 dB fixed gain preamp the limit for the total array is -15 dBm.
With the 31dB maximum step attenuation in front the RX input limit is 16
dBm, far below the device ratings of the DAT-31.

Assuming an external 1kW-amp (+60 dBm) and a 30 dB coupling loss of the RF
sampler you need an additional pad with at least 14 dB attenuation. If you
run the system under that these extreme conditions (without the possibility
to adjust slight deviations in the frequency response of the  RF coupler) it
should be verified that NO additional distortion is generated in the DAT or
preamp in the entire frequency range.

All testers, who used a RF tight Hermes RX port, had not issues with the PS
performance. No further comments regarding stray coupling, hi.

73, Helmut, DC6NY