[hpsdr] Hermes MAC address problem

dlwaddel at netzero.net dlwaddel at netzero.net
Mon Jul 14 07:45:58 PDT 2014

Someone, please, describe to me in simple terms how the MAC address is set in Hermes and what components are involved?

I have a second Hermes I am trying to get working. It powers up, debug LEDs light/flash, power LEDs light, and the heartbeat LED flashes. All that works like my working Hermes (which I simply love!).

The HPSDR Programmer can't "discover" the board. The HPSDR bootloader program finds the board and reads a MAC address that is all zeros. The bootloader program appears to successfully program the board, as does using the USB blaster cable.

Trying to read the MAC address with the HPSDR Programmer results in the read going on forever with no reading.

Reading the IP address results in all zeros for the IP with the bootloader program. Trying to set the IP address with the bootloader program results in a successful message, but reading the IP reports all zeros.

I am using the latest programs from the OpenHPSDR downloads page that I just downloaded this morning.

I have used a direct connection between the computer and the board and also the connection being used by my working Hermes which goes through a switch. At no time did I have both boards on the net at the same time - too confusing. :)

I am a bit lost. I thought the MAC address was set in U13 at power-up and was fixed except for a portion of the address which is set by pull-up/pull-down resistors during the power-up stage. The Ethernet connection seems to be working enough to program the board, but not enough to operate the board.