[hpsdr] Quartus

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:02:46 PDT 2014

Despite what the recently update "Web vs Subscription" document says,
Quartus II v14 sadly appears to have dropped support for Cyclone III, so it
won't build Mercury Metis or Hermes FW anymore. Of course Cyclone II as
used in Ozy and Penny was already deprecated in 13.1. Thus v14 will not
build for any of the fully open HPSDR hardware. It is unclear if there is
any real benefit to the upgrade for users of the free version anyway
though. They had already added the multi-core feature to the web edition so
long as reporting was enabled. 14 increases the number of cores that can be
used, but it is doubtful that will affect most of us working on (or
learning with) HPSDR firmware. From my own experience though Quartus is at
the very least extremely well behaved when one has multiple versions
installed concurrently. Altera is also good about making the previous
releases accessible.

Cyclone IV and V are still supported so Apache's Angelia and Orion can be
built with 14 as well as firmwares for the BeMicro line and SoCKit boards
which are targeted by the related SDR Stick and Hermes-lite hardware.

73, John KF5SAB