[hpsdr] Database reset = loss of calibration data?

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Sat Jul 12 06:51:23 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 7:10 AM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> Life is tough. Best to write your values down on paper using a pencil or
>> pen.
>

> Actually, it is possible to make this possible. The authors of the
> software have decided not to do so. I can think of several reasons why this
> might be so but none of them is complementary.
>

> Thanks, Brian.  I'm getting the sense that many folks don't care for the
> database system. :-)

The database has been a wart on the butt of PowerSDR for as long as I have
used it. In and of itself, having to remind people to delete the old
database before starting the new version of software is a small thing. But
when you multiply every new version by all the people who forget (or don't
know) and the problem is significant. I think it gets ignored because the
"fix" seems so easy and obvious, i.e. delete the old database file.

I suggested a very simple hack -- a version number in the database file or,
better still, for each logical section of the database file -- but I think
Greg's suggestion, while more difficult to do the first time, is a far more
universal solution. The database is just a collection of attribute/value
tuples. It wouldn't be too hard to have a "rationality checker" for each
A/V pair when it is read in during system initialization.

> I can see re-entering the PA gain values (which I do have written down),
> but I've never seen any way to retrieve or input the amplitude calibration
> data.  Is there one?

I don't know. I was thinking you were talking about the PA gain values.

And since the radios do have a forward power meter, it would even be
relatively easy to write a module that tells you to connect a dummy load,
and then walks through the bands doing the PA calibration for you.

This is the area where a commercial entity like Flex Radio Systems is going
to excel. They are going to do these usability things because it reduces
their support workload and saves them money. Authors writing open software
are more interested in spending their time doing new and interesting
things, not mundane usability stuff. I understand.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation