[hpsdr] Database reset = loss of calibration data?

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Sat Jul 12 10:37:33 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Jeff Cook <jeffrie at talktalk.net> wrote:

> Redrawing the database seems a small price to pay for such an excellent
> radio being continually updated by volunteer engineers.

As a software engineer, I try, to the greatest extent possible, to make it
so that users cannot do things that will be mistaken for actual software
errors. That means that the software needs to be written to minimize
dependency on the users doing The Right Thing. I find that I don't like my
time to be consumed trying to find bugs that don't actually exist.

This is why my first suggestion was to just add the version number to the
database. Now the software protects itself from the user forgetting to
delete an old database. The user still has to re-enter the configuration
parameter to build a new database but the user's mistake, i.e. failing to
delete the old database, does not start the process of searching for a bug
that doesn't really exist. (Especially when the programmer asks, "did you
delete the database," and the user mistakenly says, "yes.") As the
programmer who is going to end up working with that user only to discover
it is a non-issue, I would be kicking myself for not making this simple
change and spending the time working on new features instead.

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation
brian at lloyd.com