[hpsdr] Hermes MAC address problem

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:45:36 PDT 2014

Don  --

I will try to give a simple answer to your questions.

HPSDRProgrammer uses UDP to talk to the last loaded firmware to load the
flash memory.  The board uses this memory to program the FPGA. this only
work if the old firmware is newer of 2.3 for Hermes.  If the transfer has a
error you will need the HPSDRBootloader to fix the board.

UPD uses the board IP address to talk to the board.  You can change the
boards address number with either HPSDRProgrammer or HPSDRBootloader if the
the communication route works .

The HPSDRBootloader will also do this but is uses the PCAP library to send
raw Ethernet packets to the bootloader firmware.

PCAP uses MAC addresses to distinguish boards, they are 6 hex numbers and
are used as a unique id for the device but do not infer a hierarchical
address as the IP address does.

The bootloader firmware is stored in a protected space in the flash memory.
 Neither the  HPSDRProgrammer or the HPSDRBootloader can overwrite the
bootloader firmware as is.

The bootloader firmware, which come installed in all new HPSDR boards.  It
can be overwritten using Quartus and USB Blaster.and not paying attention
to the memory space addresses.

Before the HPSDRProgrammer and HPSDRBootloader the only way to upgrade the
FPGA was to use Quartus and a USB Blaster.  This is not really an easy
process. It is within the reach of most experimenters.

The HPSDRBootloader will perform all the required task but requires the
PCAP Library and the j12 jumper must be set during the programming process.

The purpose of HPSDRProgrammer is to program Hermes without changing
jumpers if the previous firmware is greater that 2.3

I hope this helps you understand the issues involved and the reasons both
IP address and MAC addresses are displayed by the programs.

Dave KV0S

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM, dlwaddel at netzero.net <dlwaddel at netzero.net>
wrote:

> Thanks to Marc L. (VE2OLM), I now can read the MAC and read and write an
> IP address using the bootprogrammer. Still can't see the board with HPSR
> Programmer or PowerSDR.
>
> It seems that when I remove the jumper from J12, the board disappears from
> the network, even with a direct connection from board to computer.
>
> Grrrrr!
>
> Don
> K3DLW

KV0S - Dave Larsen