[hpsdr] Working! - Generic Midi Controller to PowerSDR MRX - Re: PowerSDR MRX Midi Config

VaibhaV Sharma vaibhav at vaibhavsharma.com
Sat Jun 7 00:08:37 PDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 9:37 AM, VaibhaV Sharma <vaibhav at vaibhavsharma.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there any documentation on what the PowerSDR MRX midi config screen expects and does?
>
> I am very close to setting up a generic midi controller for powersdr using a combination of midi-to-serial and virtual serial to CAT ports combination.

Looks like I am still on the moderated list of posters as my previous message is still stuck in approval.

Anyway, I got my Native Instruments Kontrol S4 DJ controller working with PowerSDR as an external controller. And all this without any changes to PowerSDR source code and this is not using DH1TW (Tobias)’s powersdr-ui code.

I currently only have VFO up/down implemented to browse around the band. Work on adding other controls. This is in no way useable in production and I am working towards that but here is what I did -

Environment / Hardware
===================
* Kontrol S4 DJ controller with windows drivers installed
* Kontrol S4 in generic midi mode
* Anan-100D

Software
=======
* Windows 7 - 64 bit
* PowerSDR OpenHPSDR MRX - 3.2.10
* Com0Com installed for virtual serial ports
* Hairless Midi-to-Serial bridge installed

How the control part works -
- PowerSDR is configured for serial CAT control on a serial port.
- DJ Controller is configured to send midi data over serial (using hairless bridge + com0com)

The missing piece that I had to write was some code that reads midi commands from one serial port and writes them as CAT commands on PowerSDR’s CAT port. So effectively, I am translating midi bytes to CAT commands.

Here is the demo video. Apologies for the bad video. I was too excited to pay attention to video quality -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzuK76kKAz8

—
VaibhaV Sharma
W7VAI