[hpsdr] Calling all IT pros!

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sun Jun 22 05:20:17 PDT 2014

Dear Tim,
For those of us who might actually be in a position to change the behavior of Kiss Konsole
and PowerSDR, would you mind providing some details about this problem?

Do any of these errors occur during the installation?  Or do they occur during the running
of PowerSDR after it is installed?  That wasn't clear to me from your write-up and plea
for help!

During the installation, were you asked if you wanted to allow changes to your computer?
That was the 'run as administrator' prompt from within the MSI.  Also known as the UAC
prompt.

When you double-click on an MSI file, or right click and choose 'install', that runs a
program called 'msiexec.exe' (the 'windows installer'), which is what processes the MSI
file.  It's kind of like how if you double-click on a .doc(x) file, word is run to
'process' the doc(x) file.

It may be that MSIEXEC.exe needs to run with administrator rights in its first phase of
running (please don't ask, it's so complicated even those of us who deal with this on a
regular basis groan just thinking about it!).  That cannot happen the way that we are
doing the installs.

It certainly looks like that the installers are supplying just a .msi file.  We may have
to figure out how to include a setup.exe, possibly with the MSI compressed inside it so
that you can do a 'single file download' for the installer.  That setup.exe would require
administrator rights, which might fix the problem.

There have been other suggestions here to turn off windows update and the like.  I urge
you NOT to do that, as you could leave your computer unprotected against malware.

73,
George K9TRV