[hpsdr] Calling all IT pros!

Dick Faust k9ivb at cox.net
Sat Jun 21 12:29:37 PDT 2014

Win 8 & 8.1 is problematic no matter what you do.
Two main causes are Automatic Updates I recommend turning off at the
clean install point or as soon as possible afterward] and M$ inattention
to details - they positively do not check their work when issuing
updates any more [Service Packs are usually ok as here is where they
check their work and fix the flubbs !]

If you receive the same errors when trying to install the older version
Auto Update is the likely cause.  Go to Control Panel -> Programs and
Features -> View installed updates select the most recent updates and
when highlighted you will have the option to uninstall.
Note:  Unless you have altered the reserve memory for the System Restore
function there will not be enough file space reserved for more than a
day or two, so this approach will likely not work.  This was reduced
because the new tile interface which does not have enough room to start
with.

The M$ addons like Office 2013 and all of their other crazy
entertainment stuff also adds to the mess with updates etc.  Plenty of
free or inexpensive alternates that are not encumbered with M$ ineptness.

You might consider Classic Shell if you prefer the Win 7 style interface
on startup, even on 8,1 it works better than M$ version
http://www.classicshell.net/

If nothing else works you may have to resort to the restore to original
factory configuration [I am assuming you have a store bought box - if
not use the original Win 8 DVD].

Dick K9IVB