[hpsdr] The beginning of Single Sideband

Clyde Washburn k2ue at rochester.rr.com
Tue May 13 18:25:34 PDT 2014

It was an exciting era.  I joined SSB pure-play RF Communications right out of school and worked for guys from Collins.  The FCC had
just mandated SSB for high seas communication in place of AM, and Raytheon and RCA were the big names in Marine Radio.  When the SSB
conversion was over RCA and Raytheon were private-labeling our transceivers.  This is why Motorola threw everything they had into
defeating Companded SSB for Land Mobile in the 1980's, despite its excellent field trials - they knew that when there is technology
sea-change the predominant company before is never the predominant company after. . .

Clyde Washburn, K2UE

k2ue at ieee.org <mailto:k2ue at ieee.org>