[hpsdr] kind of Hermes back to open source version

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Tue May 6 10:52:16 PDT 2014

On 5/6/2014 8:20 AM, Marc Lalonde wrote:

> 13-) may remove the audio section for simplify not yet sure for this
> one ..

That would be a significant mistake. You'd lose full compatibility with
some of the HPSDR applications, you'd lose compatibility with the
firmware (fpga RTL) --requiring special versions for your board, you'd
lose currently planned features that take advantage of the local audio
section (e.g. Phil's low latency FPGA based CW support), etc.

I applaud your effort, but my concern is that you are not really
familiar with the platform and therefore are likely to make more
mistakes like the above.

You need to either maintain full functional compatibility with Hermes or
Angelia (adding the extra A/D converter makes it more like Angelia than
Hermes) so that you can share firmware with one of those boards, or you
need to do something more interesting that departs from those boards
that will inspire developers to want to develop custom firmware for your
board. Making a board that is almost like a Hermes or Angelia, but not
quite, just makes it more difficult for the developers to support your
board with no significant advantage for doing so.

Thanks,

John
AC0ZG