[hpsdr] [apache-labs] Re: OT: new Flex rig

Brian Lloyd brian-wb6rqn at lloyd.com
Fri May 9 11:19:07 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Sid Boyce g3vbv at blueyonder.co.uk[apache-labs]
<apache-labs at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

>  So, the future of radio *IS* with the multirate subband receiver with
> high-capacity transfer to multiple back-end processors, not YASHRT. Flex
> has their market and HPSDR appeals to people who want to do newer and more
> interesting things. OTOH, it is worth noting that the HPSDR model works in
> BOTH markets. Hmmm...
>
>  --
> Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
> 706 Flightline Drive
> Spring Branch, TX 78070
> brian at lloyd.com
> +1.916.877.5067 (USA)
>

> Hi Brian,
> Thinking beyond and calling for a more radical software approach - What
> about using the new SoCFPGA chips from Altera, XilinX and others.

I don't see this architectural discussion as being tied to a particular
processing engine. Additional processing just means we can slice and dice
the spectrum into more multitrate subbands for our convenience but it
doesn't change the basic function. The 'IT' doesn't change, just how much
of 'IT' you can do changes.

The key is the right protocol running between the front-end (we need a good
name for the thing that has the ADC and does the first-cut at filtering and
decimating into the multirate subbands) and the subsequent processing
engines. Do it right and you open the world of distributed RF comm
applications.

I was thinking about analogies and the one that really hit me a few minutes
ago was how we connected our PCs to the Internet for the first time.
Initially you ran a terminal program over a modem connection and used the
services on a glorified bulletin board like The Source, The Well, or AOL.
What ran over the modem was a single baseband session. Then we got PPP and
were able to run TCP/IP over the wire. The PC and the modem were the same
but now many sessions were multiplexed over the same connection. Your mail,
web browsing, file transfers, time synchronization, chatting, etc., were
all going on at the same time over the same modem connection in separate
sessions. That is where we need to go with our radios.

To me THAT is the difference between YASHRT and HPSDR.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive
brian at lloyd.com