[hpsdr] [apache-labs] Re: OT: new Flex rig

Brian Lloyd brian-wb6rqn at lloyd.com
Fri May 9 11:41:40 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Helmut Oeller <dc6ny at gmx.de> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I suppose most of the interested folks know the advantages and current
> superiority of HPSDR over other designs and architectures.

Helmut, I am not entirely sure they do.

> From my point of view it has limited use to start a contest among
> themselves on this reflector.

I don't think this is a contest. I think it is about understanding the
architecture and its ramifications.

> Maybe after Dayton and Friedrichshafen things look in another perspective.

What is going to happen between now and then? What is going to happen there
that will change things? The possibilities are already determined by the
architecture and no amount of talking will change that. Frankly, the most
important thing that will happen is how the new protocol between radio box
and computer gets defined. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING hangs on that.
Open up that protocol to support an unbounded number of mutirate subbands
to multiple back-end processing data "sinks" and you have opened up the
portal to the real future of HF radio communications systems. The hardware
is secondary. The right protocol enables whole classes of future radio
systems ... or holds them back.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive