[hpsdr] New kind of Hermes

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:23:27 PDT 2014

*rant on*
IMO

I agree Brian.

Witness ARRL CEO K1ZZ lobbying for a 2.8 kHz bandwidth limit for
HF digital transmissions.  Great for half-century old radios.

Or, let's go back a full century.  Look at the inordinate amount
of effort spent re-writing and re-writing code, altering design,
and creating special cases for HPSDR CW transmitting; all
because someone wants to hear another station between the dots
of his own transmission.  Sure, it is a technical challenge, but
so are new digital modes that we haven't started using yet.

I was fortunate to enter ham radio when SSB was new and only
used in small parts of the "phone" band.  I sold my CW/AM
transmitter and bought a Central-Electronics 10-A phasing SSB
transmitter with 10 Watts PEP.  Now I'm pleased when someone
across the ocean hears my barefoot Penelope on WSPR.  What could
we do with a Chirp transmitter that spanned the 7 kHz VLF band?
  Old things are fun and comfortable, but new things are exciting!

*rant off*

AA8K