[hpsdr] New kind of Hermes

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Mon May 12 06:36:08 PDT 2014

The 2.8KHz bandwidth limit on HF digital modes is about allowing more
modern, higher data rate modes to be developed, while maintaining
coexistence with existing users of the bands. I think we can all agree
that we don't want to see an HF mode that blankets the entire band
with high power signals/noise. If HF were a tabula rasa we might be
able to use it differently (nobody has yet proposed legalizing spread
spectrum modes on HF), but so long as SSB exists we have to deal with
a channel-based framework.

My main problem with the 2.8KHz proposal is that it could lead to a
lot of wide signals appearing in parts of the HF bands that have been
historically used for narrowband modes such as CW and low-bandwidth
digital modes. We should preserve a narrowband portion of each HF
band.